Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Weekend Baking Adventure : The Hacked Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie

I'm not pro at baking, so when I hear there's a tried and tested recipe testimonial, I go for it, especially when it is my favourite Famous Amos chocolate chip cookie. I remember the first time I smelled the aroma of the freshly baked cookies from a Famous Amos kiosk somewhere in a Singapore mall. It was heavenly and ever since then I'd follow the scent and buy a pack of 200g of cookies wherever there is a Famous Amos kiosk. At that time, it was only available in Singapore, and not in JB. Now, I can say they are in almost all the malls in JB.

When this post went viral on social media recently, I knew I had to try it.

The verdict? It didn't produce the familiar aroma but it does really taste like the real thing. SO. GOOD. The boys approve.

Here's the recipe:
  • 250g butter
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup corn flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate/baking soda
  • 6 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • Almond nibs (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla essence and egg. Mix well. 
2. Add the vegetable oil. Mix well.
3. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients ie. flour, corn flour, baking soda and baking powder, and then add into the 'wet' batter. Mix well. (I learnt that baking soda/sodium bicarbonate is different from baking powder! I read about it here)
4. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
5. Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 30min.
6. Preheat oven at 150°C, coat baking tray with some butter.
7. Roll cookie dough into small balls and place on the tray with some distance from each other.
8. Bake for 20 min until cookies turn golden brown. (I modified to 160°C for 30min)




Enjoy!


No comments: