Sunday, April 10, 2022

Painted Planter Pots

I must be very free and crazy to paint 12 little terracotta pots! My painting mojo just hit me and this was sometime in February. I gathered these mini pots from Daiso, my favourite Martha Stewart Acrylic Paints, some brushes, and lots of design ideas brainstorming along the way. This project was more of a fun try-out. 

Materials. Important tip for brush, use soft nylon flat type for acrylic painting, it gives a smoother finish. Another good alternative is sponge brush.

First coating always look uneven because terracotta clay is porous and absorbs water and water-based paints.

It will take a few coating to finally look like this, at least 3.

After painting the base colour on the pots, it was time to create different designs. Here are some of the methods I used.

I created a scalloped pattern using masking tape cut with scallop scissors.




These patterns were drawn using permanent marker pens.

I also painted a terrazzo pattern and this was surprisingly easy because the shapes, size and positions are so random that it's OK even if you made a mistake. The only hard part is choosing the colours.

So fun. The next step is to add wording/name on the plain ones. 

Some styling shots.


Other than flower pots, I think it'd be cool to make them as candle vessels. So I bought some soy wax, wicks and fragrance, all excited to make candles for the first time. I'm a bit nervous about this one because I have never done any crafts that involves boiling / heating yet. I guess this will be another post, so stay tuned!





1 comment:

I am from Czech republice. said...

Very nice work. 👍