Friday, February 15, 2008

Still Keeping Fingers Crossed...

Quote of the day: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

How many of us are keeping our fingers crossed each day? If you are right now for whatever reason, I'm keeping mine crossed for you too.

Daniel's 5th day in nursery. I tried something different. When I dropped him off, instead of manja-ing him, you know the usual, "Aww, Daniel good boy OK, go to school OK, play with friends, mummy working" bla bla bla, in high pitch manja tone, which is returned with increasing decibels of wailing accompanied with a heart-wrenching "DON WAN DON WAAAAAAAAAN", I looked him in the eye and said to him firmly. "NO CRY, MUMMY WORKING OK". Immediately, he stopped his emotional blackmail stunts.

He is also sleeping earlier now. Instead of dozing off at 11.30pm, he now sleeps at 10pm. Hallelujah!

I had also discussed about adjusting my working hours with my angel boss and my angel director. I said I could cut an hour a day and prorate my salary. HR thinks it's cumbersome to calculate. I could take one month of no-pay leave, and cut an hour a day. Director said, "Just do it informally. It's alright with me. I believe you can adjust your time as you deem right. I know, even 15minutes can make a big difference in the traffic." We chatted a while more and I left her office with sunshine in my heart.

I reached the school at 6.15pm yesterday to pick him up. There were still many children around waiting for their parents. I reached home at 6.30pm. I couldn't believe it. Suddenly I have all this extra time which was a luxury for me in the past. And with Daniel sleeping earlier now, I have more time for myself. I believe I'm becoming happier.

Still keeping fingers crossed.

No comments: